Monday, September 21, 2009

Earthquake in Eid Day in Bangladesh

It happened 5 minutes before 4 PM. I was sitting in my PC and suddenly, my chair started to tremble. My whole body was shaking too. Naturally, I became afraid because this time, I touched the earthquake very clearly. I heard that some people became afraid and they went out to the street. Well, I stayed in home. Then I checked some Bangla blogs and also Bdnews.com and become sure that it was indeed an earthquake in Eid Day in Bangladesh.
Today is Eid ur Fitr or Ramjan Eid in popular term. It is the biggest festival for the Muslims of Bangladesh. In the last months, several earthquakes took place in Bangladesh but all of them are after midnight. So, most people were asleep and did not touch them. However, this time, it happened at noon and almost everyone touched. It is clear to everyone that big cities like Dhaka and Chittagong are ill equipped to fight against a powerful earthquake. I am in my mid 30s and I cannot remember of any year with so many earthquakes in Dhaka in the same year.
You can read some more in Bdnews here: 'Big' tremor jolts Dhaka
By the way, there is some news that the quake was felt in some other districts of the country too.